Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Days Before My Birthday

Note:
I do apologize for the long wait in my posts on how it's going in Japan. I've been studying Japanese (including memorizing kanji), doing my AP Calculus work I brought over, confused on when the due date of my report regarding about my homestay to YFU Japan and the Japanese Embassy, and lots of minor stuff. Therefore, this post will be made from pure memory from the pictures taken.

ANY ENGLISH GRAMMAR/SPELLING MISTAKES--PLEASE POST A COMMENT. I haven't used my English in a while.
==============================
Sunday, June 22, 2008 (2008年6月22日)
Waking up early in the morning (not really), my host mom took me over to Yukichi's (my host father's) mother and father. They both seem really lovely, especially my (host) grandpa--despite his old age-- still jokes like a young adult, he's extremely lively. My grandma was more of the caring type, always trying doing things that would make me comfortable. We sit down at the dinner table and they offer me some Niigata-ken (Niigata Prefecture) style spicy snack (it was some seeds). Tasty. We talk about Japan (geography included haha) and how my homestay is and in the end, watch some videos on the Okinawan Odori (dance) where Natsuko performed on stage.


We went outside and grandpa (1st left) catches bugs on trees--the really noisy ones--as his hobbies. Some neighborhood kids we don't know come along and join.

After, it's off to Mos Burger (モスバーガー), the well known burger shop in Downtown Miyako, to eat our afternoon meal. On the way, we stop by a Ginko (bank) so I can exchange my 100 US dollars into 106 Japanese Yen. During the transaction, the clerk whispers to Yuki-san (host mom) while pointing at me, asking if I was the "American" from reading the newspapers. She nods with a smile and we continue to Mos Burger.



Downtown Miyakojima - There seems to have been a festival earlier


The sliding doors open automatically and I'm hushed by a gust of cool, conditioned air from the building. Wait, who's that? It's Haruka, one of my classmates, and her friends eating and talking at a table in the store. I smile and they giggle (I noticed almost every girl does this) and stare for a bit--like still not believing I'm an American. My host mom asks me what I want, and I ask for Teriyaki burger and melon soda for my drink. We wait about 15 minutes at our table in the back, with the girls occasionally glancing over, slapping those annoying mosquitoes that we see. The food comes, and we eat. WOW, TASTY. Nothing compared to In-n-Out, Burger King and McDonalds, MUCH better. This was not an American burger, but a Japanese one, served with Holland-style french fries. We eat with delight for 20 minutes and joke around and leave. Haruka is still chatting with her friends.

We get back in our car that's in a high-tech parking garage that stores your car underground. You park your car in a spot, and a machine puts it somewhere to save space.


Picking up Kana

Next, Yuki-san and Kana (from the Miyako Rock Fest.) decide to take me to a spot in Miyako--I never asked for the name. You can see the whole island from the top, extremely beautiful. We played around with Bunta and Natsuko for about 1 or 2 hours on the swings and a huge lion where you can climb on top/inside and slide down a slide.


The ocean in view


I move my camera a little to the right, and here's the city view (that tower reminds me of Tokyo)


Look! I'm flying 50 feet off the ground!

Following we head to Maehama beach, where my party a few days later from my homeroom class will be held, to see the beach. It's my first time seeing a beach in Miyako, and it's comparable to Hawaii.


Road to Maehama beach


Beautiful!


Video



Kana and Natsuko play around


I write "Atsui" in the sand, meaning 'HOT'.

In the end, we return home and I finally see the first Japanese flag flying over the island. It's flying half-mast because today was an Okinawan holiday--Irei no Hi (慰霊の日), the Day of Comforting the Spirits.






Monday, June 24, 2008 (2008年6月24日 [月])
It's school again. Here are some interesting things that happened today:


Takuma practices reading his English :) Well done! (Pachi pachi!)


While waiting for a checkup from the nurse's office, the boys play around with some toilet paper during the waiting in line.


Look at the board.


In Chemistry class today. I decided to put a reply (don't worry--it's erased now)




Naoya dances (taken from a famous comedy show on [Japan] TV) -- part one



Part two

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OHHH. SEEMS SOO FUNNY. :D HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIMMY ! D: WE DIDN'T GET TO CELEBRATE YOUR BIRTHDAY ! WELL, we kind of did.. before you left. Hahah. :O It seems soo fun to be there ! The sand is nice too. IT'S.. ALL SMOOTH AND EVERYTHING. [:

I'd be soo sad for you when you have to leave.. :[

1min said...

100 dollar =/= 106 yen Jimmy

Jimmy said...

Haha, not anymore, that is. Our economy's down.