Friday, June 20, 2008

5th day at school – Famous Japanese band visit!

School’s the same! I will not post the same old things except for interesting, unusual or new events. It’s a waste of time and will be boring to read anyways.

What’s new?

During our English class today with Asaho-sensei (Gima Asaho – his full name), some boys were playing with their electronic dictionary and typing in the words “crazy”, “stupid” and “idiot” while pressing the pronunciation key during their ‘fooling time’.

Their electronic dictionary would shout those words out in the middle of a quiet session of study and I found it extremely hilarious. And for the reference, *NO*, I did *NOT* teach them these words. I did ask them if they knew what it meant but other than that, I wasn’t responsible for their actions. All I simply did was

laugh (well… maybe ask them to do it one more time). (;



In this video, Taiki (the guy looking down) types “stupid” into the dictionary and messes with the 'pronunciation' key many times. Notice our sensei, despite hearing it, doesn’t do anything.
Note: It’s hard to hear so turn up your volumes or get earphones since the fans inside the classroom are loud.


Ryou, the guy who sits behind me, shows me a close up view of what Taiki was doing with his dictionary.

Later, I practiced my kanji (Chinese characters found in Japanese) using a Ryou’s electronic dictionary (the guy who sits behind me) for classes I that I couldn’t do (because they were all in extreme Japanese—yet I didn’t leave the class). Naoya, a few classmates and I still had our immature, (but funny) paper fight at each other’s back and legs during classes. (I can post a video if I get enough requests)

More pictures with classmates and I’m loving the life. Everywhere I walk, I can’t avoid a “hello”—it’s awesome. (:

At the end of our classes today, we had to report to the school gym for yet another speech. No~ not in the Miyako heat! I’m walking there and I get swamped by schoolgirls who drag me in to their group pile while the guys shout hello on the outside of the circle. They ask me their name one by one (and I go “wasureta” for I forgot and they sigh and retell their name and giggle again). I walk in the gym, humid like I’m in water. I find my “ichi-nensei” group and I sit with the guys. Not paying attention to the speech (because people were talking to me), I suddenly hear schoolgirls scream. What was that? Was that the track team running in? No, It’s “Funky Monkey Babys” (purposely spelled like that)—a famous Japanese hip-hop band—running in! Oh my gosh. To be honest with you, I didn’t really know who they were until a couple friends told me about them and I took pictures like crazy. I even got to talk a picture of one of the band’s members and shake his hands (I didn't get a picture of myself doing it because the van was moving and I can't shake hands and get a good pictures like that)!

The reason they are here is because of tomorrow's Miyako Rock Festival, and they simply decided to visit the school. I will attend this festival and will post about it soon.

"Funky Monkey Babys", a popular band in Japan, makes an unexpected appearance at Miyako High School. Complete with the TV crew. (:

Here they are accepting the flowers and making a speech.

Different angle

Running up to the van to get this shot.

(I have a picture of 'Chem', a member of the band, close up posing. If you want to see it, you can ask me by comment or e-mail--it's an awesome shot!)

Haha, I’m lucky. They seem to be really popular on the web, so I’m assuming they’re pretty well known in Japan. Because of the nice pictures I took, people wanted me to send the pictures so this one girl gave me a paper with about 7 emails on it. I agree to send the mail (Wah! So much internet work). Take a look.




Oh and I got Naoya's picture too. (: Good friends


After school, I went to Natsuko’s Odori Lessons (Japanese dance lessons) and there was about 15 children dancing. They dedicated a dance for me called “4 seasons” and danced with golden fans. Cute huh?



30-second video (my annoying camera limit) of "4 seasons".



Oh yeah! WE HAD YUMMY CURRY & RICE FOR DINNER!
--“Fruit salad. Yummy yummy.”


Edit: Changed the date from June 26th to June 20th.
("Huh?" you might ask. My blog is behind schedule and because I do not make daily posts on my everyday schedule as I did back when I was in SJSU, I'm falling behind on events. So today is actually June 26 and I accidentally set the date of this post as the 26th, in which the events did not happen on that day. They happened on June 20th so I'm changing it to the 20th. By the way today's is the 25th in America, my birthday. :) I already had a party in Japan [it's the 26th here].)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HAHAHAH. DANG TELL ME WHY THEY HAVE SUCH COOL CELLULAR PHONES. [: Hahah, aw mannnnnn. FRUIT SALAD. YUMMY YUMMMY. THAT'S AWESOME.

mmmh, I wonder if you're going to post a blog about the shooting in Akihabara. o__oo

Jimmy said...

You mean the 'stabbing' on June 8th? I'll talk about the incident when I return back to the U.S.