Friday, June 13, 2008

金曜日、2008年6月13日 - Friday, June 13th, 2008 (Pictures - part two)


Japanese Garden in the back of the Takanawa Prince Hotel


Japan Rail Map -- Harold and I took the Yamanote Line (Midori - Green Line) after YFU staff allowed us to go anywhere (alone!). We went to Akihabara to eat and shop but to Shibuya to only shop. Culture shock hit me here because I didn't know what ticket to buy and didn't want to get lost, but I figured out how the train system works.


The train ride to Akihabara from Shinagawa Station


Arriving in Akihabara!






Exiting the Akihabara Station into Akihabara (aka Electric Town)


Department


Outside view of Akihabara (oh yeah, it's also called Akiba if you haven't read my long post) Station


Who is this? :)
Edit: (side note) Turns out 5 days ago, the suspect (stabbing-spree) of the Akihabara Massacre was arrested exactly in the alley on the right side. Don't get me wrong but Akihabara still is and has been a lovely place. The massacre startled everyone because people are stunned that it happened in Akihabara.

Japanese video documentary (watch this first): http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=ShXW7GngaE0&feature=related

Excellent Article in English (then read this second): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akihabara_massacre



Department Store


Akihabara!


Post-sunset sky


Well, it's back to the Akihabara Station!



To buy some Soba and Udon for dinner!


Yo! :)


Crowded Train


And my ticket


Trip from Akihabara to Shibuya was fast since the trains in Japan are so fast :)
(This is NOT the Shinkansen though)


Welcome to Shibuya! :)


Walking down various roads in Shibuya


I got in the middle of the road just to take this picture


Hey!


A Store :)


Yet another view


Shibuya = Crowded with people
Here this is all the people lining up at a stoplight to cross the road



When the light to cross is green, this is what happens: People literally flood the intersection, notice the taxi in the middle...


Here's a "smaller version" of the picture above on a less dense street


Going home by going to Shibuya Station (looks like the airport, huh?)


'Densha ga kita yo!'


Taking the Yamanote Line (Midori)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn Jimmy, I hate you so much. That garden looks awesome! I can't believe you guys got to go anywhere you wanted!

Unknown said...

Hey! That looks soo fun :0 I wish I could go to Japan. Can't wait to see more pics/vids! :D

Patrick Hall said...

Jimmy, have a blast while in Japan! I'm glad Livy sent me a link to your blog. I can't wait to see how much fun you have. Don't forget all of us from green kumi at orientation! mata ne, (Pato sensei)

Jimmy said...

I haven't. The Midori Yamanote line reminds me of the Midori Kumi, Patto-sensei :)

(Oh I learned how to write 'sensei' in kanji now!)

John Shinn said...

HI, My name is John Shinn. I just read your blog. I'm applying to YFU summer Japan. Could I ask you some questions?

John Shinn said...

HI, My name is John Shinn. I just read your blog. I'm applying to YFU summer Japan. Could I ask you some questions?

Jimmy said...

Hi, John! Yeah, sure; what's up?

John Shinn said...

or do you have Ichat or skype?

Jimmy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.